Graduation cake

Graduation cake
My graduation cake: a suitcase and two books. Very fitting....

28.11.10

The Limitations of Language

One of the hardest things about writing a blog about these wonderful experiences is that it's so hard to articulate just exactly what I see, hear, smell, taste, etc.  For example, trying to describe the beauty and intricacy of a Buddhist wat (temple) is like trying to squeeze a million descriptions into one sentence.  I have neither the time nor the space to go into such elaborate depictions, but I will share a few words that come to mind when I think of the things I've experienced so far:

Graceful; talented; ouch!

Silly.

Adventurous.

Something I've longed to see in person; jaw-dropping.

Awe-inspiring; mighty.

Gigantic; crowded; wow.

Breathtaking; like something on a postcard.

Moving.

Joyful; lovely.

Precious.

Regal; vibrant.

Unique.

Interesting; beautiful; one of my favorite pieces of architecture.

Learning.

Majestic.

Delicious; fresh; worth a long journey.


Excited; observing the culture.

Magical.

I've been fortunate enough to have experienced some great things since I've been in Thailand.  For one, I saw Wat Arun, the "Temple of Dawn" :




These stairs were incredibly steep and very big!

Wat Pho, and the Reclining Buddha:

It's massive.

A cup full of coins for the buckets ------------------^





Beautiful architecture at Wat Pho.





Wat Phra Kaew at the Grand Palace:










The annual Loy Krathong festival, celebrated every twelfth lunar month on the full moon:


My krathong, which consists of candles and incense in a "boat" made of flowers and banana leaves.

Me with my krathong.

Krathongs floating on the lake at Lumphini Park.  They're supposed to bring you luck for the new year.
In addition, to help you all better understand the hustle and bustle of Bangkok life, and so that you may better experience some of these wonderful things, I took the liberty of making a few videos around town.  However, for lack of time (it's already 3am here, and I have to wake up and deal with the Swiss tomorrow; long story) and because, after about 15-20 minutes not even one of my videos would upload, I've decided to hit the hay and attempt to publish them tomorrow, when my computer hopefully won't be so fickle :P



~SB

No comments:

Post a Comment